Here’s a few of reasons to give it a go,
- It contains less than half the amount of sugary carbs found in a regular jar of sweet and sour.
- It is low carb as you don’t need rice!
- High in protein.
- Low in saturated fat.
To make the sauce:
- 1 tablespoon of good olive oil (i.e. extra virgin)
- 20 ml of white wine vinegar
- 200 ml of water
- 2 teaspoons of tomato purée
- 2 tablespoons of soy sauce
- 2 chicken fillets cut into strips
- 3 Peppers chopped
- 1 clove of garlic crushed
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1 chilli (if you like a bit of spice!)
- 1 medium head of cauliflower
- Mix all the ingredients for the sauce together and leave to the side.
- Cut the head of cauliflower up into florets and cook in boiling water for aprox 5 mins.
- Grill the chicken strips until cooked through.
- While the chicken is under the grill, heat a wok or frying pan and add the tablespoon of olive oil. Throw in all the veg and stir fry until the veg has softened slightly (3 – 5mins).
- Add the grilled chicken strips and pour in the sauce.
- Simmer for a further 5 mins.
- While the chicken and veg are simmering, drain your cauliflower and put it into a food processor.
Whizz the cauliflower until it resembles rice. Do not over process as you will end up with a cauliflower paste!
- Dish out the cauliflower and serve the chicken sweet and sour mix on top
Dont knock this recipe until you have tried it! The cauliflower rice mixed with the sweet and sour sauce is awesome and fill’s you up just as much as rice would with half the carb intake!
Click here to print a copy of this recipe: Home Made Sweet And sour with Cauliflower Rice
Certified personal trainer